Monday, June 9, 2008

Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe vs. Angry Nerds

As you may know, the upcoming installment of the Mortal Kombat series is a crossover with DC Comics, owner of popular superhero franchises such as Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman. One might think "oh wow, the combination of such a popular fighting game series and comics company will be a hit with everyone!" One who thinks this clearly does not know people.

Very little is known about the game currently (only 4 characters are revealed so far), yet it seems that many people are prejudging the game to be a "failure". Chief among these reasons is the fact that there won't be any killing fatalities in the game, a staple feature of the MK series that was one of its defining features from the start. This is at the request of DC Comics, since they apparently don't want their characters involved in such displays of brutality. To DC, I simply say this:


Now, I don't think the game is actually "ruined" simply due to lack of killing moves, but I do find the whole thing extremely stupid when, as this hilariously appropriate picture shows, DC's characters have engaged in acts just as bad as those from the MK universe. Hell, their star character who supposedly "doesn't kill" has been an outright dick.

But I'm not sure which is worse in this case: DC Comics being hypocritical losers over the whole violence thing, or the legions of fans who really do think the game is absolutely ruined. I've seen so many people think the game is going to suck (or even state it does suck) based on... well, pretty much just DC's restrictions, seeing as how there's so little information out about the game at this point. There is of course the people who just hate the DC characters. I admit I myself am really only a fan of the Batman series, but I'm not going to hate on the game simply because it has some characters I don't particularly like. I think it would do everyone a world of good if people could just have this attitude rather than badmouthing things for no real reason.

Some fans of Super Smash Bros. Brawl could do with being like this too. You know who you are.

No comments: